Baptist Convention in Newnan
The Georgia Baptist Convention
The Georgia Baptist Convention met in Newnan in November 1917 at the First Baptist Church on West Washington Street. Church records give a brief mention of the event, saying that A.N. Freeman gave the welcome on behalf of the First Baptist Church and the citizens of Newnan. "We hope and believe the meeting of this great body of Christian believers has been a blessing to our church and will long be remembered," it was written. The names of only three people are identified, indicated with arrows, from left, Brittain Sims Wilcher, Brewer Wilcher and Paul Warren. Also of interest is that there appear to be only three women in the photograph. The convention group is in from the the First Baptist Church's old sanctuary, which still stands on West Washington Street. The house to the left is where the new sanctuary now stands. At the right of the photo is the Murray warehouse building on West Washington Street, and barely visible behind the warehouse is what is thought to be the old First Methodist Church building.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. Permission for use must be cleared through the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. Licensing agreement may be required.
Still Image Item Type Metadata