Coweta's First Seat of Government

Dublin Core

Title

Coweta's First Seat of Government

Subject

Bullsboro

Description

While on an outing to obtain a photograph of the boulder which marks the site of the lost town of Bullsboro for the "Coweta County Chronicles," this photograph was made of Mrs. Mary Gibson Jones. Founded in 1826, Bullsboro was Coweta County's first seat of government. The first Superior Court was organized by Judge Walter T. Colquitt and presided over Bullsboro in 1827. In 1828 the county seat was changed to Newnan. The boulder with plaque was placed by the Sarah Dickinson Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, in 1925. The photograph of the boulder is included on page 53 of the "Chronicles," published 1928. The book was edited and compiled by Mary G. Jones and Lilly Reynolds.

Publisher

Newnan Times-Herald

Date

mid 1920s

Rights

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. Permission for use must be cleared through the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. Licensing agreement may be required.

Identifier

CCR 1985.05.09

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photo

Files

CCR 1985.05.09.jpg
Date Added
July 31, 2016
Collection
Coweta County Remembered
Item Type
Still Image
Tags
, , , , ,
Citation
“Coweta's First Seat of Government,” Newnan-Coweta History Center, accessed April 17, 2024, https://newnancowetahistoricalsociety.omeka.net/items/show/17.