The Buckeye School, 1922
This view of the Buckeye School is from about 1922. The one-room school house with chimney, brush arbor and a water bucket on a shelf was located on the Columbus Road, now Mt. Carmel Road, halfway between Mt. Carmel and Handy. School would be in session six weeks in the summer so the children could be out of classes to help harvest the crops in the fall. In the photo are, from left, front, Brown Payton, Peniston Grimes, Mary Harmon Luckie Bridges, Bertha Payton Storey, Dollie Hutchins, Mable Coggin Hall, Robert Coggin, Opal Luckie Jackson, Sallie Kate Payton; second row, Hubert Storey, Mary Lou Coggin Rainey, Martha Luckie Ozmore, Ernest Storey, two unkown, Harold Hutchens, Petty Hutchens, Cecil Johnson, Harold Storey; back, Hoke Sitton, Roy Coggin, Eva Mae Johnson Ball, Harold Grimes, Raymond Coggin, Ethel Storey Luckie, Freeman Luckie and the teacher Jessie Davis.
Mrs. Ethel Luckie
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. Permission for use must be cleared through the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. Licensing agreement may be required.
Still Image Item Type Metadata