MR. GUY COLE

Dublin Core

Title

MR. GUY COLE

Subject

Mr. Guy Cole at the R.D. Cole Manufacturing Company

Description

Mr. Guy Cole is shown in this photo at his office at the old R.D. Cole Manufacturing Company or "Cole Shop" probably during World War II. Ed Cole III provided the picture of his late grandfather. R.D. Cole Company was Coweta County's oldest industry, started before the War Between the States. It was bought out by an Illinois company in 1968 and resold in 1971 to the Coweta-based Brown Steel Contractors. R.D. Cole Co. is well-known for the decorative sawn-work made during its early years and used extensively in homes in this area. The company is better-known today for elevated water tanks - including the Bullsboro Drive water tank, a Newnan landmark completed by R.D. Cole Co. for Newnan Water and Light in 1964 and similar tanks constructed by Brown Steel for the Shenandoah industrial park in the 1970s and for the Coweta County water system on Buddy West Road in 1986. In recent years the neighborhood around East Broad Street near the R.D. Cole building was named to the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district, called "Cole Town" after the Cole family members and company employees who lived there.

Publisher

Newnan Times-Herald

Date

c. 1942

Contributor

Ed Cole III

Rights

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. Permission for use must be cleared through the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. Licensing agreement may be required.

Identifier

CCR 1988.10.04

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photograph

Files

88.10.4.jpg
Date Added
December 4, 2016
Collection
Coweta County Remembered
Item Type
Still Image
Tags
, ,
Citation
“MR. GUY COLE,” Newnan-Coweta History Center, accessed July 17, 2024, https://newnancowetahistoricalsociety.omeka.net/items/show/351.