Temple Avenue School Memories

CCR 1987.02.17.jpg

Dublin Core


Temple Avenue School Memories


Temple Avenue School, seventh graders, 1920


Several photos have appeared in this feature of classes from Coweta County's first public school, the old Temple Avenue School, which was built in 1888 and closed in 1956 upon the completion of Elm Street Elementary School. The building, which was located where the city park is now on Temple Avenue, was demolished in May 972. Mrs. Lucia Cates Green provides this portrait of the seventh grade class of 1920. From left are, front, Beatrice Bohannon (Mrs. Jake Gentry), Emily Amis, Lottie Mae Goins, Mildred Stephens, Eleanor Orr (Blalock), Louis Cavendar, Louise Taylor (Downs), Sarah Pickett (Supt. B.F. Pickett's daughter), Doris Gann, Lucia Cates (Green); second row, Walter Sanders, Guy Mobley, Leon Estes, Kirby Parks, Roger Chesnut, Ed Gilbert, Duke Jones, Frank Marion "Bo" Barron, Buell Hubbard, J.W. Jackson and teacher Patty Moreland; third row, Floy Dennis, 2-Unknown, Marjories Scib (Yancy) (mother of Dr. Yancy), 4-Unknown, Evelyn Newton (McDonald), Margaret Starr (Sanders), Lillian Johnson, Mary Estep (Wheeler); back, Burnett Stephens, possibly Hal Bail, Hugh A. Farmer Sr., Ralph Attaway, Robert Lovvorn, James Fisher, 7-Unknown, and Robert Barringer.


Newnan Times Herald




Lucia Cates Green


Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. Permission for use must be cleared through the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. Licensing agreement may be required.


CCR 1987.02.17

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format