Browse Items (800 total)

This group of young people is a Sunday School class from East Newnan Baptist and Methodist Church shown in a 1929 photo. There were 90 pupils in the class, and the teacher is seventh from the right on the first row. Among the names that can…

This group of youngsters attended the third birthday party of young Katie Glenn Arnall at the home of her uncle, Alton W. Arnall, on Jackson Street in the 1920s. In the the photograph are, from left, front, John Holmes McCalla, Jett Fisher, Bobby…

This distinguished group is gathered at the Holberg in Senoia about 1915 when the United Daughters of the Confederacy entertained Confederate Veterans of the 19th Georgia Regiment, Company D. In the photo are, from left, front, Mrs. C.f. Hollberg,…

Many local residents thinking back to their childhood will remember the old Gem Theatre on the west side of the Court Square in downtown Newnan. This photo shows the old theatre and the adjacent buildings. Located to the south were Walter R. Thomas…

An old fashioned homecoming is a tradition at Elim Baptist Church, one of the oldest churches in Coweta County. This photograph shows the crowd at the Elim homecoming on August 30, 1936. Many improvements and changes have been seen around the Handy…

This 1889 photo shows a family before the turn of the century. Seated are George Hiram Martin, left, and his wife Nancy McDonald Martin. Standing at right beside his mother is George Thomas Martin. In the father's lap is McDonald Martin, and in the…

Some of the names and faces in this 1920s photo of fourth and fifth graders at the Senoia School may be familiar. The school was also known as the Brantley Institute, explains Mrs. Montine Caldwell, who provided the photo. Among those in the picture…

The identities of these people and the location of the building are a mystery.

Newnan High School's graduating class in 1920 was a bit smaller than those today, a little over 40 in comparison to almost 400 in 1985. In this photo are 43 students - 19 young men and 24 young women - along with several adults. In the class are,…

As the current high school football season proceeds toward its conclusion, it is appropriate to look back at this Newnan high football team of 1938. On the front row are, left to right, beginning with the young man in overalls, James Norman, then…

The harvesting of trees is still big business in Coweta County, but these scenes show an operation more than 35 years ago. The top photo shows a load of logs cut near Haralson about 1948. The 1946 model truck was purchased by the late G.W. Skinner…

This view of the old Coweta County jail building on East Broad Street is from a small album entitled "Sixteen Views of Newnan, Ga.," which was published by the J.F. Lee Drug Co. in Newnan. The album was given to Mrs. Mary Parks by Mrs. Earlie Mae…

This photo is of a group called the "Anonym Club." The four men's names were written on the back of the frame in the following order: Harry Trantham, J. Litt Jones, John S. Hardaway, Jr. and W.L. Stricker.

Tags: ,

The Reynold's Furniture store at 31 South Court Square in downtown Newnan has changed its look but is still serving customer 50 years after this photo was taken in the late 1930s. In this view of the G.M. Reynold Furniture Company are, left to right,…

These young beauties are Newnan High School students from about 1907. In the photo are, front, from left, Ada Catherine Gibson (Mrs. James Lemuel Poole), Corrie Owens (Mrs. Ira Walker Brooks), Nellie Brown (Mrs. B. Glen Hopson); second row, Lily…

This postcard scene is from by-gone days on the main street in Grantville. Notice the goat cart in the center of the photograph. The card was an advertisement for Tatum Drug and Seed Store.

This group of students studied at the Moreland School about 1910. In this photo are, from left, front, Rebecca Evans, Lois Young, Clarence Polk and Paul Wilson; second row, Janice Puckett, Pearl Haynes, Ralph Webb, Sam Rollins, Ralph Camp, Sallie Kat…

This gentleman and young lady are perched in a horse-drawn buggy in downtown Sharpsburg in the early 1900s. Seated in the buggy are W.B North and Polly Bridges. They are in front of the house of Mrs. Mary Bridges on the southeast corner of Terrentine…

This pavilion stood at Ray Park. The recreational spot was presented to the City of Newnan in February 1891 by Lavender R. Ray in honor of his father, John Ray, a pioneer citizen. The pavilion was located on Spring Street across from the end of…

Tags: ,

This group of students composed a graduating class of McClelland Academy, which was located in Newnan across from the current swimming pool on Duncan Street. The academy was a school for black children sponsored by the Presbyterian Church. The…

This group of young women basketball players is the first girls team at the old Starr High School in the Sharpsburg-Turin area in 1922. In the photo are, left to right, front, Mary Bridge (Asbel), Lila Hardy, Ruth Christopher (Evans), Mildred Bailey…

This old photograph shows the interior of Ellis Mansour's Department Store in 1918 on the Court Square in a building later occupied by Hamilton and Company. According to a brief history in the Newnan Times-Herald Centennial Magazine, the dry goods…

This photo shows Newnan First United Methodist Church under construction. Notice the flag on the top of the steeple and the workmen standing there. Providing the scene was Henry Chapman.

These people are taking part in a Baptism by Elim Baptist Church at Wayland Lyle's pond in 1944. The Rev. Glen Waldrop was pastor at the time. Some of the people have been identified in the photo. From left are, unidentified, unidentified, Beulah…

These faces from Coweta County's past are employees of the old Newnan Mill photographed in 1916. Among the cotton mill workers are Miss Nettie Crawford, front, far right; and Miss Hattie Crawford, back, far right. Names of the other workers are being…

A group of young gentlemen pose in front of Joe Wynn's store in downtown Sharpsburg about 1912. In the photo are left to right, front, Richard Ingram and Rex Brown; middle row, Alvin Ingram and Alton Royonton; and back, Lehmann Hudson and Roy…

These Coweta County citizens of the 1890's are the ancestors of quite a number of present-day Coweta County residents. This group photograph includes, from left, front, Amelia Smith Sewell, Jaspar Newton Sewell with Curtis Jones being the young boy…

These young people are graduates in the "Class of '38" from Brantley Institute in Senoia. Included are, from left, front, Christine Thompson, Harold Roesel, Frances Nations, Bernice Morgan, Reba Cooper, Henry Couch, Mary Emily Shell, Hiram Todd, Jr.,…

Newnan's Centennial Parade in 1927 was the occassion. Adorning a float representing Boone's Department Store (which was located in the Belk building) are, left to right, Emily Johnson (Mrs. Cliff Matthews of Houston, Texas), Emory Caldwell, the late…

This photograph of a groupd of Senoia School students from 1923 or 1924 has been submitted by two different people, Coweta County resident Mrs. Montine Caldwell, whose husband is in the group, and by Mrs. Robert C. NeSmith of Raleigh, North Carolina.…

These are two young ladies of Turin, Ga., in about 1895.Annie Lizzie North is seated, and Minnie Hunter is standing.

Tags: ,

These young ladies are from the graduating class of Newnan High School in 1921. Among those shown are Mary Stallings, Lucille Lovorn (Lane), Edna Bailey, Ola Mooney, Elsie Ragland (Taylor), Ruth Starr, Callie Reynolds (Bowers), Annie Clifford Grimes…

Gayle North was a member of the Sharpsburg Band in 1886, playing cornet. Other member included Ed Pittman, base honr; Bob North, drum; Dub Bridges, J.D. Norris; and M.H. Norris.

J.A. Latimer Company once occupied the building at 14 Jackson St. in downtown Newnan where Badcock Home Furnishings is located today. In this photograph of the shop department in the back of the building are Monroe McKoy, Walter Phillips, Harold…

From the 1920 Newnan Senior Class are the young men, remember mostly by their nicknames. Among those in the group are Lee Evans, "Gulleywire" Goldwire, "Tub" Fields, "Kers" Kersey, "Buck" Leach, "Hubert" Meacham, "Chick" North, "Predessor" Pickett,…

Two Grantville Young Men are among the face in this group of Georgia Military Academy students from 1911-1912. The display is from the school program. Marie Geter of Grantville received the program from relatives of one of the young men, Granvill…

These students are at the Roscoe School in 1913. In the photo are, from left, front, sitting on ground, George Potts, J.W. Turner, Harold Sewell, Carl Sewell; second row, on ench, Maggie Jou Edison, Willie Mae Cook, Irene Crews, Myrtie Sprayberry,…

This Family group from Senoia, Georgia, in about 1899. The only person who can be positively identified is the gentleman standing in the back, fourth from left, Leonard Pinkston Neill.

Tags: ,

In this scene from the early 1940s are department foremen of the old R.D. Cole Manufacturing Company, which was replaced by the current Brown Steel Company on East Broad Street. Shown in the photo are, from left, front, M.E. Spraggins, Harvey…

These students are gathered in front of the Moreland School in 1898. In the photo are, from left, front, Abner York, Frank Brannon, Albert Sydney Camp, Charles Pierce Gordon, John Tom Brown, Fred Dunn, Will Brannon Jr., Sam Rollins; second row, Irene…

Organized about 1931 by "Uncle" Henry Richards, the Old Poplar Log Mission met in Cole's Pasture, about 200 yards east of the present-day Congregational Holiness Church on Farmer Street. Services were each Sunday morning and Wednesday night. Lanterns…

Among Coweta County Schools of the past was Starr High, located in the Sharpsburg-Turin area. This group of students from Starr High attended a Coweta County literary and athletic competition on May 2, 1939, in Newnan and were photographed on the…

The railroads have played an important part in travel and development for Newnan, as for other towns across America. This interesting photograph, shows train travel at the LaGrangeStreet Viaduct in Newnan about 1918.

These first grade students are from a class at Starr School in Sharpsbug in 1922-23. The only ones known are John Thomas Norton, seventh from the left on the second row; the teacher, Mrs. Moore, who is eighth from the left on the second row; and…

Among the many schools in Coweta County's history is one called the Corner Branch School that can be dated back to about 1890. It was located at the corner of Smokey Road and Dr. Bruce Jackson Road, and it closed in 1918.

These young women are students of the Moreland School from about 1912 or 1913. In the photograph are, from left, front, Ruby Spratling, Cleo Webb, Lucille Bexley, Nellie Parks; second row, Susan Wilson, Florence Polk, Pearl Haynes; back, Alma Evans.

Today, in 1986, Newnan downtown merchants and government officials are talking about starting a Main Street program to keep the downtown vital and alive, a place where people will continue to work, shop and do business. Many of the buildings in this…

These youngsters from the turn of the century appear as though they cloud be dressed in their best Easter finery, like Coweta County residents will be for the holiday this weekend. The children in the photograph are Wilson Bowers, seated in front;…

Shown in this photo is the large William Henry Bryant family of Sargent. Included in the group photo are the Bryant children, their spouses and children. They are, from left, front, Ethel Duncan Bryant with child Frances Bryan (Yarbrough), Edward…

Among Coweta 19th Century citizens were the Pucketts of Newnan, shown in these photographs. The children on the right are John O. Puckett, born in 1885. They were bth born in Newnan, and their father and mother, Columbus and Sallie Puckett, in the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2